Will Hild is the executive director of Consumers’ Research, a dark-money group that is one of the largest funders of the State Financial Officers Foundation (SFOF). Since he assumed that position in 2020, the organization has filed lawsuits against the Consumer Products Safety Commission and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and launched a multimillion-dollar smear campaign against BlackRock CEO Larry Fink. Consumers’ Research hosts a tracker highlighting anti-ESG legislation.
Hild previously served as deputy director of the Federalist Society’s Regulatory Transparency Project and worked at the Philanthropy Roundtable. He holds a law degree from Georgetown and a bachelor’s in political science from the University of Florida. The Washington Post reported that Leonard Leo, the “court whisperer” credited with pushing the federal judiciary to the far Right in recent years, is one of Hild’s mentors and an advisor to Consumers’ Research.
- Wrote a letter to leaders in Congress “to raise the alarm about the encroachment of another existential threat to our liberty: the so-called investment strategy Environmental Social and Governance, or ESG” with an attached Consumers’ Research report titled, “Defeating the ESG Attack on the American Free Enterprise System” (3/8/23)
- Spoke on the panel “What’s Behind the Drive to Promote ESG Investing and What You Need to Know” with West Virginia Treasurer Riley Moore, Heritage Foundation Visiting Fellow Andy Puzder, and SFOF CEO Derek Kreifels at the 2023 Awakening meeting of The Heritage Foundation (1/6/23)
- Spoke at a workshop titled “How States Fight Back Against ESGs” at the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) 2022 States and Nation Policy Summit with Heritage Foundation Fellow Andy Puzder and Heritage Action’s Jessica Anderson where he asked ALEC lawmakers to explore their committee subpoena powers to investigate how banks and asset managers are incorporating ESG into their investment strategies (11/30/22)
- Spoke on the “Politicizing ESG Investing” panel with Jessica Anderson of Heritage Action and ALEC CEO Lisa Nelson at ALEC’s 2022 Annual Meeting (7/29/22)
- Spoke on a panel at the Heritage Foundation’s 2022 Resource Bank meeting moderated by Andy Olivastro, vice president of outreach at Heritage, titled “Taking on the ESG Overlords” with John Murante, Nebraska State Treasurer; Andy Puzder, a senior fellow at Heritage ; and Vivek Ramaswamy, founder and executive chairman of Strive Asset Management (6/1/22)